Friday, October 29, 2021

Journal, Unit 1

 September 22nd:

New scientist weekly, “Stretching the point” July 17-23, 2021

In this article, the benefits and negatives of stretching are both looked at.  Various points are backed up by countless research done by respected universities and scientists including Harvard. The effect of stretching on your everyday life is looked at and an interesting point taken away by me was even just focusing on something with your eyes will cause certain muscles in your body to tense hence limiting flexibility. As an athlete, I have some experience with stretching for sport and even I was surprised to read the effect of static stretching before partaking in an endurance sport.  It's shown that performance can be decreased by approximately 5%, although stretching is still important before sports because injury to muscles is reduced by 54%. Just don’t go overboard on stretching because overstretching can lead to dislocations and joint pain. Overall, stretching is beneficial and it’s great for cardiovascular health.


I really enjoyed this article and I learned a lot about stretching and I’m excited to incorporate some newly learned facts into my pre-game warmup and share some ideas with teammates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment